Optimization of drug solubility and bioavailability is considered one of the top challenges faced by the pharmaceutical and biotech industries today. Many drugs in clinical development are facing these challenges at a later phase due to an unstable release profile and low bioavailability that could have been corrected earlier on in the development path. This almost always results in higher costs, longer development timelines, and ultimately delays in regulatory approval.
Improvement in bioavailability at the target site is achievable through a number of strategies including:
- Delivering the drugs in a form that is more soluble
- Controlling the release and degradation of the drug (stability)
- Deploying active targeting mechanisms for delivery of drug cargo
- Developing drug dispersions and self-emulsification (SEDDS)
- Liposomal formulations
- Particle size reduction
- Chemical complexation
- Addition of surfactants, novel excipients and other targeting carriers
Bioavailability enhancement of your drug will not only improve patient compliance due to better therapeutic performance and reduced toxicity, but can also aid in significantly reducing the time and cost of development, while also easing the regulatory approval process.
At VxP Pharma, we have extensive experience in helping to increase the bioavailability of your compound whether being a NCE, NBE or a generic or biosimilar. Our scientists utilize state-of-the-art equipment, as well as the expertise of some of the best trained subject matter experts in the field.